EARLY REDLANDERS : PART ONE
THE LEDERER FAMILY
Prepared for Presentation to The Fortnightly Club
5 February 2009
Theodore W. Parsons, Jr.- PhD, PhD
Mary and Leopold Lederer left their home in Wershetz, Autria -Hungary for their new home in Southern California in the Spring of 1888. They lived for four years in Cucamonga and then moved to Crafton in East Redlands in 1892. In 1903 they purchased a five acre orange grove and house on Crafton avenue and lived there for the next 24 years. By 1918 They had purchased an additional 12 acre grove further up the hill on Walnut. They had two daughters, Julia and Emma.
After graduation from Redlands High School in 1906, Julia went to work in the office of the Gold Banner Association as secretary to Charles M. Brown. Julia worked for Gold Banner until her retirement in the mid 1950’s. Mentored by C.M. Brown, Julia invested her money wisely. She bought and sold orange groves and became known as a successful businesswoman in Redlands. Julia owned and operated large groves on Brookside and on Fern avenues. In the Diamond Jubilee year, she was recognized as one of the pioneers of the citrus industry.
The story of Julia’s devotion to her family and especially to her sister, Emma, is one of lifelong affection and mutual support. Both Emma and Julia exemplified the spirit of adventure, dedication to hard work and achievement which characterized their immigrant parents. The Lederer family story is a shining tribute to the reality of the great American dream.
THE PDF WHICH ACCOMPANIES (View PDF)
THE TEXT OF THIS PAPER WAS PREPARED BY
WILLIAM O. CHRISTENSEN,